Sunday 9 August 2015

Wear what suits you - not what's on trend

Being a ‘slave of fashion’ is, I think, one of the worst things to be when it comes to the world of fashion. Why? Because it suggests oppression in an industry that should allow individuals to express themselves however they want. It suggests that current trends are something one must follow to the nearest (24) inch catwalk waist. It suggests that obsessing over being ‘on trend’ is more important than enjoying fashion.Yet the irony is, it’s pretty much impossible given how fast paced this industry is - you have more chance of keeping up with Mo Farah on the racetrack then the trends on the catwalk!
Image:askyourface
Don’t get me wrong I LOVE seeing what is kicking off right now. But does that mean I’ll suddenly go out and ensure that I follow it? Hell no. Take the pale pink trend last year. Seeing those gorgeous, marshmallow pink coats on the catwalk made me feel very tempted to buy one. Indeed, after looking around I actually found quite a few that I liked the look of. Sadly, none of them suited me. The colour - baby pink - goes against every inch of my personality (far too cute for my liking). Then there's the fact pink is my least favourite colour.
Image: stylecab
If I had bought any of those coats it would have been purely because it was ‘on trend’ - not because it looked good or I actually liked it on me. And think about crocs. They were massive for some time and could be seen EVERYWHERE but many women (myself included) refused to wear them, despite the craze. (NB: even If Beyoncé began to wear them I could never be a fan).


Image: wired
The point is trends or fashion crazes come and go, but style stays with you. It's always best to wear what you look good in and what you feel good in.  If this so happens to be something on trend, then great! If not, who cares? The fashion police are a myth, after all. We've all been there when we see something gorgeous on the hanger only to try it on and hate the damn thing. A mini skirt on one person might look great – but on another may make them feel body conscious or uncomfortable. 

Fashion is most fun when you do YOU. Embrace your own style and wear what you know will look good.Yes, it’s great to get inspiration from trends and the catwalk but there really shouldn’t be any pressure to follow them, if that’s not what you want. But given that some are pretty crazy, I guess that's just as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment