Friday 31 July 2015

KAZOO SPY: Antonia and Florals

So, I’m particularly excited about this feature of Kazoo Spy. Why? Not least because it’s about florals - and I bloody love florals – but because it’s with a lady who’s been involved with the likes of Calvin Klein, GQ magazine and Oxford Fashion Studio. Oh, and she worked for Vogue. It was when I was backstage at Oxford Fashion Week, however, that I noticed her impeccable style which contained a fair share of florals. I had to feature her on here.

First up: why florals? Antonia tells me it’s subliminally down to her love of 1950’s Americana but, rather than a choice, it’s an attraction. She also insists that florals don’t have to mean delicate or feminine – ‘in fact, I like wearing them with an edge.  When I worked at Vogue, I was told that my style was a mixture of sexy secretary and punk rocker and I still like to think I have this slight edginess. I guess floral is the secretarial element – especially during summer’.
Side note – Antonia Mackay would make a very sexy secretary. Actually, with a PHD in American literature, we should really be calling her Dr Antonia Mackay.
Babe with brains. And florals. Literally.
Asked what her wardrobe entails when it comes to floral designs, it’s by no means limited to the simple ‘here’s an item with a floral pattern'. Instead, she likes to experiment with clothes - ‘it’s what fashion is all about’ - and her most recent purchases include laser cut flowers on a swing dress, alongside Westwood inspired floral platforms (which she has not yet dared to wear!).
How high can you go? Go on, we dare you 
Then there is her floral 1970’s maxi dress, with long voluminous sleeves, a high neck and two high leg splits. ‘It makes me feel like a Charlie’s Angel when worn with my hair blown out.’ Sexy secretary, Charlie’s Angel….whatever next?  
Preparing for OFW
Sexy floral underwear, that’s what. Like me, she’s a strong believer in taking care and consideration with what’s below as a way to exert confidence outside.
Since she’s been on the fashion scene herself, I couldn’t resist asking if she’s seen any floral catwalk shows. Seen them? Perhaps. Created them? Hell yes. Antonia's Cosmopolitan show at OFW last season was 70s floral inspired - think fringes, florals and flares. She tells me that, in the end, it came quite close to her own style. (In that case, it must have been pretty good. I couldn’t go – blame the Oxford work load for that – but I did hear some great reviews afterwards).
Sass + Cosmo.
I’ve got to admit, Antonia is one sassy queen. She certainly does prove that florals don’t have to mean girly and sweet. They can have a bite to them too - and a cheeky one at that.

WHEN I SAY FASHION YOU SAY: URGENCY, CHANGE AND TRANSGRESSION.

Antonia Mackay is  currently an Associate Lecturer at Oxford Brookes University and Permanent Lecturer at Goldsmiths, University of London.Her past involves working as PR and Communications Director for Oxford Fashion Studio, Editorial Assistant and Editor at Vogue, editorial at GQ magazine and PR for Calvin Klein.
Most happiest: in a good bar, surrounded by good people and with a cosmopolitan or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment