Friday 26 June 2015

Clothes are memories

Ah. Feeling euphoric right now. The reason is pretty lame: coursework is done. But what that means is a bit less lame: summer can finally begin! No more being stuck in the library with a book called 'Does Spelling Matter?' (Surely it does, for if I started wrighting lyke thes you wud tink I ad gawn maad)

the infamous book written by my tutor
 

Digression over, today, as part of my celebrations, I decided to take out my blue satchel. Box structured with silver buckles and in a vibrant shade of blue, it made me feel even more delighted to be done.

The satchel had unfortunately not been big enough for my English folders so has been neglected these past few days. Instead, I had to make do with a boring, black, industrial size rucksack. It did the job but it got a rather depressing sight by the end.

Probably because I associate it with the library.
The satchel, meanwhile, I associate with the time I bought it last summer. It was on a sunny day shopping in Covent Gardens and I just KNEW I had to buy it. What was even better was the fact my mum - my number one go-to for approval - liked it just as much.



It made me think about how we relate what we own to something - a place, a time, a person, even a feeling. (Jogging bottoms and a miserable break up with an ex anyone?)

It's a bit like how we relate a perfume to someone or a smell to somewhere. Whether it's a sentimental necklace passed down from your grandma or a pair of flip-flops you bought for that crazy holiday in Ibiza: the items we wear are memories.

Each has it's own story, each was bought or received at a particular time and place.

One of my worst memories was being given an awful pink jumper a few Christmas's ago. It was from a relative in Australia who had come to England for the holidays and clearly didn't get the memo that pink is my least favourite colour. When I saw it in the attic, I thought back to the awkward moment but I also thought back to HER -how she was, what she was doing.....
 

The point is that the item of clothing bought on an association. 

Just as that blue satchel did. And now, in a few years time, the satchel might also be associated with the euphoric feeling of finishing my coursework.

So the next time you put on something to wear, ask yourself 'what's it history?, where did it come from? when did I buy this or who gave this to me?'.

The answer might leave you with a fond smile on your face.

No comments:

Post a Comment