Saturday 6 June 2015

KAZOO SPY: Sacha and Blazers


‘A few years ago I only had my school blazer. Now I have a fair few. I have the iconic velvet navy blue blazer, the recently acquired Half-Blue blazer, I have my tweed jacket-blazer…at the moment I’m looking for a corduroy one’. Yep, I think Sacha Mehta has his fair share of blazers and I’m here to find out more. KAZOO SPY is a new feature which finds people who have something in particular that defines their wardrobe, whether that be a single item or a category of clothing - and asks them about it. And so que Sacha and his blazers. 

Donning a blazer and oozing authority after a night out
After describing his style as ‘comfortable, timeless and eccentric’, I ask him what statement he thinks a man makes when wearing a blazer. His answer is so meticulous the guy may as well have a PHD in blazers. There are, apparently, three categories:
  1. The man in a blazer who is a man with a plan, a man in demand, a man who effortlessly mixes business with pleasure
  2. The man in a blazer wearing jeans and t-shirt who doesn’t know what he’s doing and, according to Sacha, looks a little hopeless and pitiable.
  3. The man in a blazer with a slightly ruffled shirt with two buttons undone, wearing smart black trousers and black shoes in need of a polish…’a rough diamond - the best type’
Ascot, at the races
Needless to say, Sacha places himself in the third category, which, when it comes to the ladies ‘is statistically my most successful outfit in terms of pulling power’. But aside from clubbing, I want to know where else Sacha’s blazers make an appearance. After all, this blog is about positioning fashion within day to day life. As ever, his answer is wonderfully enthusiastic as he explains his blazers accompany him everywhere, from punting to eating and even sleeping. Whether he’s in India or Switzerland (Sacha has both Indian and Swiss blood in him) he’s never without his trusty blazers. 

With his swiss grandparents at a cousins's wedding 
He even tells me that sometimes he wears nothing but his blazers. Blazers as pyjamas anyone? 

But what I love about Sacha, aside from the fact he emits sheer exuberance, is how he recognises that blazers – like all clothes –must be comfortable. ‘There is no point in sacrificing comfort for fashion. So I like soft fabrics (velvet, corduroy) or hot fuzzy itchy ones (tweed)’. He may as well don on a blazer and become a comedian. Or a musician. When asked what song a blazer would be, he answers “Fly” by Ludovico Einaudi, because, like a blazer, it has the ability to make one weep with joy and feel a sense of wonder. Indeed, Sacha and his blazers might create that sense of wonder in anyone.    
Pre-debate at the Oxford Union

WHEN I SAY FASHION YOU SAY ‘FASHION’S FADE, STYLE IS ETERNAL’ 

With his other half at St Peter's ball.
Sacha Mehta is a 2nd year student at St Peter’s College Oxford studying Russian and Portuguese. He is the Keeper of the Gloves at OUEFC (Oxford University Eton Fives Club) and is part Swiss, Indian, French and British.

No comments:

Post a Comment