Saturday 24 February 2018

Fashion Faux Pas

Fashion is fluid. Trends come and go, often in a cyclical cycle - the A-line skirt we saw in the 50's has had a modern twist, as have the androgynous, flapper style dresses of the 1920's. There are some looks, however, that never come back into fashion. The outfits where you wonder, years later, that old cliché - what was I thinking? 

For me, my biggest fashion errors were in my teens. Reading TeenVogue and Glamour magazine meant I had every trend at my finger tips. Rather than selecting ones carefully, or putting my own spin on them, it seemed a great idea to try multiple trends at the same time. And just wing it.



Here's 10 of my biggest fashion faux paus. Unfortunately - or rather fortunately - no photos exist. But you get the idea...

1. Wearing stripy, multi-coloured knee high socks. With a turquoise waistcoat. There's colour and then there's too much colour. And too little coordination. Send help. 

2. White, baggy, trousers with 'tassles' that I once wore to dance class (and also, strangely, recall climbing a tree in).

3. Dad's 'bug' glasses. No matter if I couldn't see out of them. I thought they were cool. The Specsavers advertisements said so. 

4. Green velvet tracksuit bottoms + matching green velvet hoodie.

5. Peep toe heels, with socks, on 'Mufty day' at school. Probably the only student who wore heels. Bad idea when you have to lug around your lunch and a ton of books. 

6. Shorts that went to my knees, paired with black tights. Enough said. 

7. A pink tutu that I got from dance glass, then decided to wear shopping. Enough said, take 2. 

8. Five hundred necklaces. Worn at the same time. Okay, maybe not five hundred, but certainly five. Less is more? A lesson that was yet to be learnt.

9. Baggy, wide-leg jeans that could have belonged to my brother. The Tomboy look was one I soon waved goodbye too. 

10. Crocs. Famous for their ultimate comfort but ultimate ugliness - the most deadly look of all.  

No comments:

Post a Comment