Thursday 3 November 2016

Cross dressing - kinda

So one of my birthday gifts was a beautiful watch from nylondon - brown leather strap, large dial, simple design. I had been looking for a watch for quite some time but had always been disappointed by the glaring silver glitter that many of the female varieties had (no disrespect, just not to my taste).


I ended up finding the answer by choosing this watch which was part of the men's selection. In fact, I way preferred the men's watches - the larger dial and heavier feel they had - but maybe that's also because I'm a bit of a tomboy at heart.

Either way, it got me thinking that now, more than ever, incorporating clothes or items of the opposite sex is hardly something to bat an eyelid at.

Many of my shirts - at least the oversized ones, which I tuck into denim shorts or jeans - used to belong to my brother. One Ralph Lauren polo shirt I wore a few weeks back was also my brothers. No one even noticed.

Once upon a time, it was a taboo for women to wear trousers. Can you believe that? And yes, colour/gender associations are also being broken down. I owe way more navy and blue shades (traditionally 'male' colours) in my wardrobe than I do pink. In fact, I quite dislike pink.

And then take jackets - there are some gorgeous black overcoats designed for men out there that could also be worn by women, resulting in a sleek look similar to this:

The point being, there's never been so much overlap between male and female clothes. The androgynous look continues to filter onto our catwalks. This is written from a female viewpoint and it would be interesting to see if any men felt the same (feel free to comment below).

In an age of experimentation, who says we must only shop in the 'ladies' OR 'mens' areas. Okay yes, obviously not everything is going to work. Steer clear of jeans for one. But an over-sized, cosy, maroon jumper that just so happens to part of the M&S menswear selection? Don't mind if I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment