Monday 5 October 2015

KAZOO SPY: SEAN ON SHIRTS

‘Man don’t care’. That’s how Sean describes his style. Well, I did ask for three words.
Introducing Sean McIntyre - the latest feature on Kazoo Spy. For those of you who don’t know, this is where I talk to someone who has something special that defines their style. Someone I’ve ‘spied on’, undercover sunglasses and all (Ray bans of course).

Most people who know Sean know him for his ginger hair, his cool-as-a-cucumber attitude and his impressive indie shirts. A plain black shirt is not enough for Sean, oh no. He tells me that the love started at the age of 17, when he first set foot inside a vintage shop and found some really unique shirts. ‘That was it – from then I just carried on’.
And it looks like he hasn’t gone back. His wardrobe contains a number of patterned shirts, including a paisley one, a blue floral one, a couple of check ones and an animal one - the first shirt he bought and his favourite to date. Deliberately over-sized, it’s made up of a multitude of printed deers and horses. 
In terms of where these shirts go, the short answer is everywhere. For Sean, when he visits a new city there’s a guarantee he'll be accompanied by these indie shirts. Budapest, Berlin, Amsterdam, Paris….you name it. In fact, when I asked Sean if he would do this feature he told me he was about to jet off to Hamburg and was, of course, planning on taking the shirts.
I decide to get into the nitty bitty of how these shirts are worn.  Buttons all done up? Half done up? Completely open with a t-shirt underneath? He tells me it really depends on the situation and the setting. ‘I can’t really have half my buttons undone in a tutorial!’ Ha. In terms of influence, he explains that The Libertines and Joy Division are his favourite bands but isn’t sure if they are a direct influence. ‘Perhaps subconsciously – I listen to what I like and I wear what I like, so I guess there must be some overlap’

As a student studying for a law degree, when I first met Sean I thought he might dress all conservative and smart. Perish the thought! Sean, his chilled attitude, and his indie shirts are here to stay.

WHEN I SAY FASHION YOU SAY……………….KAZOO?

Sean is a third year student set to graduate next year. He’s written for The Oxford Student as Deputy Music Editor and is also a member of Law Soc. Find him in the library 2am mid-essay crisis.  

No comments:

Post a Comment